Human Concerns Programs
Get to Know Us
St. Mary Human Concerns is a vital, active and caring group that reaches out in many ways to help others. The Human Concerns Committee is hoping to expand its program this year in light of increasing societal pressures such as economic difficulties and disparaging political differences.
The St. Mary Human Concerns Committee is Saint Mary's outreach arm, our parish's response to the needs of the economically disadvantaged, the disenfranchised, the marginalized, and the fragile.
The Human Concerns Committee coordinates and actively or financially participates in many programs. Parishioners of all ages can be involved in service in many ways, ranging from hands-on direct service, quiet participation, and support, prayer, education, or simply by participation, discussion and advisement in the monthly meetings.
Committee members are not responsible to actually do the committee's work but rather to involve others in actively accepting the responsibility of their Baptism.
The committee supports those in the parish who are already involved in service, advocacy, justice education, and empowerment of people. This committee works with community groups and other parishes to help solve related problems. They keep parishioners aware of issues relating to justice, peace, hunger and the homeless on local, national and international levels so that appropriate Christian action on such issues can be determined. If you are interested in becoming involved in even the slightest capacity please contact Bob Jung at 262-251-9145.
Virtue in a Virtual World
Social Networks were invented to bring people together. Sometimes they are abused. But just as there can be darkness, there is light. If used for good our social networks can facilitate many good works. The Pope is even tweeting now. Can’t you just imagine St. Peter doing the same to spread the Word of God to the entire world?
If you would like to tap into the positive benefits of social media and Facebook please consider clicking “LIKE” on our Saint Mary Human Concerns Facebook page. You will find daily inspirational messages along with Human Concerns issues that affect our Parish as well as local, national, and international community news. Help us to increase our readership and spread the Good word.
St. Mary's Human Concerns Committee at Work
The Human Concerns Committee of St. Mary Parish is the ministry which assists parishioners in knowing their faith through Catholic Social Justice. In addition, the committee addresses issues of poverty, faithful citizenship, human rights, domestic policy, international development, peace, and care for creation. It is the desire of the Human Concerns Committee to promote respect for the life and dignity of each human person by implementing and supporting programs in our parish, the community at large, and even broader reaches.
Our Human Concerns Committee
- Discerns the social needs of various ages within the parish and the wider community, especially the poor.
- Develops responses and programs to meet those needs, as well as identifies resources and makes referrals to already existing church agencies and community groups.
- Involves others in actively accept the responsibility of their Baptism --to help people in need.
- Supports those in the parish who are already involved in service to the needy, whether church-centered or in some other area.
- Develops a consciousness within the parish of the major social problems in the community and the world.
- Works with other parish committees, community groups, and neighboring parishes and/or denominations to help solve social problems.
- Determines budget priorities in the areas of the committee's responsibilities and makes recommendations to the parish council through the Administration Committee.
- Seeks to respond to needs through a balance of four approaches:
Direct Service - assists the parish in performing works of charity and relating to organizations that provide service.
Justice Education - helps the parish integrate a justice dimension in all its sacramental and teaching ministries.
Advocacy - relates to organizations which advocate for people in need and changes in public policy.
Empowerment - assists the parish to relate to social change organizations in which people take actions themselves on the issues which affect them.
Our task is to:
- Assure that all people are invited to be full participants in the church and in society. Human Concerns coordinates many programs and activities. Parishioners of all ages can be involved in service in many ways.
Our mission is to:
- Help parishioners understand and act upon the conviction that faith mandates action.
- Recognize ourselves as church engaged in worship and engaged in the neighborhood locally and globally.
Provide concrete opportunities for parishioners of all ages to serve the needs of the poor and vulnerable
Prayer for Justice
Grant us, Lord God, a vision of your world as your love would have it:
- a world where the weak are protected, and none go hungry or poor;
- a world where the riches of creation are shared, and everyone can enjoy them;
- a world where different races and cultures live in harmony and mutual respect;
- a world where peace is built with justice and justice is guided by love.
Give us the inspiration and courage to build it, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
St. Mary Parish dedicates itself to a deeper understanding of what it means to "Live Jesus with Passion and Purpose". As a faith community, we endeavor to put our faith into action through service to our community, our neighbors, our state, nation and the world. Members prayerfully reflect on their relationship with God, discerning who Jesus is for them and then commit to a covenant partnership of stewardship of time, talent, and treasure.
Bob Jung, Chairman - Human Concerns
- St. Ben's 2015 Schedule
- Archdiocese of Milwaukee Catholic Social Justice Ministry
- Catholics for Peace and Justice/Local Peace and Justice Events
- Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship
- Pro Life Wisconsin
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- USCCB Catholic Social Teaching
- USCCB Dept. of Justice, Peace and Human Development (JPHD)